My Water Fasting Results & Experience
My water fasting results after 5 days. 123 Hours. No Food. Only Water. Zero Calories…16 pounds lost!
Now usually you’re not supposed to begin an article with the end result, but I’m a bit of a contrarian
So recently I completed a 5 day water fast, and lucky for you I did a video journal documenting my experience. Before we get into that, let’s clarify a few things first.
What is Water Fasting?
As you might have guessed Water Fasting is an “experience” where you commit yourself to consuming nothing but water for a set amount of time. It can
be 24 hours, 3 days, 5 days, 1 week, 2 weeks or even longer!
Why would I want to do Water Fasting?
Well, everyone has their own reasons for setting out on a water fasting journey, and to be honest there are a lot of opinions floating around about what exactly the benefits are, but here are a few reasons people choose to water fast:
- Weight Loss/Metabolism Boost
- Mental/Physical Challenge
- Spiritual/Religious Reasons
- Improve Blood Sugar Control by Reducing Insulin Resistance
- Reduce Inflammation in the body
- Healing Detox and rebooting of the digestive system
- Boost Brain Function and Prevent Neurodegenerative Disorders
- Improve Appearance of Skin
- Delay of Aging process and Extend Longevity
These are some common reasons people water fast, although I mainly just did it for the mental challenge and holistic benefits (and maybe a bit for the weight loss, let’s be honest here).
Is Water Fasting Good For Everybody?
Personally I would only recommend those with stable health to even consider doing a Water Fast beyond 24 hours.
If you happen to have Diabetes, Chronic Kidney Conditions, Heart burn or Heart conditions, Eating Disorders or any other serious conditions I would recommend you consult a doctor or physician.
In fact, if you are AT ALL considering a water fast, regardless of your known state of health, I would consider speaking with a doctor.
Because based on your health you could worsen your existing conditions and there is the possibility of serious illness or in extreme cases – death!
(I say this because I feel I have to, but also because it’s always a good idea. Seriously. Speak to your doctor)
What’s the Best Way To Prepare Myself For Water Fasting?
Without realizing it I primed my body for water fasting in the best way possible so I will recommend you do the same.
For about 1.5 years I have been doing intermittent fasting (Fasting 16 hours each day, and eating only during the remaining 8 hour window) as part of a healthy change in my lifestyle.
As well, sporadically through out my life I have done 24 hour dry fasts (No food or water) and many 24 hour water fasts (I knew them as simply “fasts”) for the purposes of cleansing my body.
Through speaking with other “water fasters” I have found that those who found themselves getting nauseous during the water fasts or puking, or having a rough time have never primed their bodies prior by doing smaller fasts or intermittent fasting and simply jumped into 5 day, 10 day or longer fasts.
So my recommendation for you?
Try intermittent fasting for a few weeks to not only get your body ready, but also your mind! It’s as much of a mental challenge as it is physical.
Or if you don’t want to wait that long, begin with a 24 hour fast, and then work your way up to doing 3 days, 5 days and possibly longer if you feel up to it (And your doctor approves!)
[VIDEO] My Experience Water Fasting:
Some Results & Outcomes I Noticed During the 5-Day Water Fast:
- Day 1 & Day 2 are by far the most challenging
- The first 3 days I noticed my heart beat speed up anytime I smelled food
- I averaged about 2 pounds of weight loss per day
- After the first 24 hours I became noticeably more sensitive to the cold
- Time seems to slow down (Or you feel more present and grounded)
- Time really opens up when you don’t have to prepare food, eat food, or clean up food. Free time everywhere.
- Day 4 & Day 5 were smooth sailing, no real hunger pains, and the body felt at peace
- 16 pounds in 5 days!?! What? I guessed 10 pounds at most (Mind blown)
[VIDEO] 15 Water Fasting Tips for Better Results:
How To Safely Stop Water Fasting?
How you end a water fast (Aka Refeeding period) differs heavily based on how long you are water fasting. But here are some general guidelines:
- Take your time – Using the duration of your fast, divide it by 2 and that is how long you should spend introducing food back into your life (Ex. 4 Day water fast divided by 2=2 Days. So spend 2 days as your refeeding period)
- Eat soft, easily digestible, low acidic fruits (low in sugar) and raw/steamed vegetables
- Consume broths (maybe as a soup with the veggies) preferably bone broth, but vegetable or beef broth would be fine.
- Try probiotic rich foods like Greek Yoghurt, Kimchi, Sauerkraut, Kefir or Kombucha to name a few
- Don’t over consume carbs (Rice, Bread, Pasta etc)
- Introduce meat only after your refeeding period has ended when your digestive system is back in shape
I would also recommend that if you are looking to keep the weight off that you lost during your time water fasting, you should maintain a high protein, high veggie and greens, moderate amounts of healthy fat, and low carb diet mixed with proper amounts of exercise.
Not only will you keep the weight off, but you could actually continue to lose weight at a healthy pace, and gain muscle if that’s something you’re into!
This water fasting journey was certainly worth the experience for me, and aside from the health benefits I believe can be gained from it, the mental benefits in proving to myself that I can go 5 days without eating food (and even longer if I wanted) and not feeling tortured will be of great use to me going forward in life on those days skipping a meal feels necessary.
If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment below.
Let me know, what type of fasts have you done, and would you ever consider water fasting?
Connect with me on my other pages: